Saturday, September 19, 2009

This is my 3rd Saturday with no TV.  I don't miss it.  I think Harley (my precious little mixed terrier AKA the freakin' little bastard) is relieved, though, that I don't watch TV - especially on Saturdays.  I used to make him watch It's Me or the Dog on Saturday nights.  Victoria Blackwell - a dog trainer from the U.K. - would go into people's homes, observe the utter chaos that their dogs were causing, then sit down with the owners and explain how stupid they were being in spoiling their dogs.  She would then train them how to train their dogs.  She'd leave them after a couple of sessions to do it themselves, but would monitor them with a camera crew.  Then watch the footage and bemoan their mistakes.  Then return to chastise them, and urge them to continue training. 

Harley seemed to enjoy the chaotic bits the best.  He would run to the TV and jump up and bark at the dogs who were fighting or lunging on their leashes or tearing up furniture.  I think he wanted to join them.  When the training started he tended to get busy licking himself .  I would point out certain good behaviors I wanted him to emulate, but he would usually ignore me. 

The similarities between It's Me or the Dog and Supernanny cannot be overlooked.  The shows follow the exact same pattern:  Trainer/nanny arrives, observes chaos, sits down with owners/parents, teaches them how to train their dogs/children, leaves & monitors, returns for reinforcement.  My daughter used to let my granddaughter watch Supernanny with her, but she quit when she realized that my granddaughter was copying some of the bad behaviors - particularly the very entertaining temper tantrums. 

Maybe they should combine It's Me or the Dog and Supernanny.  Then the trainers and nannies could team up and help people who have both spoiled children and spoiled dogs.  I know that when my sweet precious granddaughter Kinsey comes to visit, and I put her almost 3-yr-old personality in my condo with the freakin' little bastard's personality, I never know what to expect!  Harley usually spends the entire time in his crate.  Kinsey wants to chase him around and torture him - which he does deserve - but if he ever hurt her then I'd have to kill him.  Since I don't want Kinsey hurt and I don't want Harley dead, I keep Harley crated.  Then, when Kinsey and I leave, I let Harley out of his crate, and he either pees in the laundry room, or poops in the bathroom, or tears up the garbage.  Or he just plots.

The other evening when Kinsey & I were working so hard on her potty training, I did not have Harley crated because I had Kinsey restricted to the toilet seat.  So Harley stayed in the bathroom with us and kept licking Kinsey's nose and she kept cupping his face with her little hands saying how precious he was.  It was so cute.  And so phony!  Those two are trouble and they can't fool me!  Luckily I've learned enough from watching past episodes of It's Me or the Dog and Supernanny to handle them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment