Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cowgirls and Writers

Yesterday I went off on a tangent about horses when I really started off writing about cowgirls.  Even at my age I could still go out and buy a horse and stable it and ride it, but that would not make me a cowgirl.  And IF I had a 2nd go 'round I'd want to come back as a cowgirl.

You know the type - think of the movie Castaway and skip to the end.  Tom Hanks is looking at a map which is spread out on the hood of his jeep (I think it was a jeep).  Coming up the road is a beat-up pick-em-up-truck that slows and turns onto the road where he's stopped,and a friendly face peers out from the open truck window.  She puts the truck in park, opens the door and hops out, and asks him if he's OK.  She gives him directions by pointing in each direction and telling him where he'll "end up" if he stays on that road long enough.  She is a cowgirl - from her hat to her jeans to her boots to the big old friendly-looking dog riding in the back.  She's confident, friendly, and looks great.  Wow.  What a package.  That's the kind of cowgirl I'm talkin' about.


Today I enjoyed myself immensely at the Florida Heritage Book Festival held at Flagler College.  I arrived early and parked my car on Riberia just a couple blocks from the Ringhaver Student Center.  Since I was more than 30 minutes early I stopped in the Hot Shot Bakery and Cafe (  Hot Shot Bakery reviewed on urbanspoon.com ) and got a cup of Barnie's Coffee to go.  Sherry (the owner) told me that Barnie's was a Florida-based company which I did not know.  I do prefer Barnie's to Starbuck's (BLASPHEMY!) and I told her that we served Barnie's at the St. Francis Inn.  We talked a bit and I told her I was attending the FHBF and somehow we got on the topic of "old Florida" and Florida natives.  Turns out she and Bubba (Bubba was handling the cash register) are both natives and Bubba could remember when Hamblen Hardware - a staple on King Street - was on Artillery Lane, and Artillery Lane was a real road!  Artillery Lane is now a cobblestone alley that connects Aviles Street with Charlotte Street.  I told them I'd be back to hear more about old St. Augustine - I love those stories.  Sherry pointed toward the back door and told me I could go in and out through there and I'd be closer to Flagler College and Anastasia Bookstore - one of the sponsors of the Festival.  Cool.  Loving the shortcut.

I hurried out Hot Shot's back door and across the small parking lot and arrived at Ringhaver Student Center with 20 minutes to spare.  Nancy Haddock had told me in her email that she would be there between 9:30am and 10:00 am to sign books and meet fans.  When I walked through the door of the room being used as the Marketplace I was a little overwhelmed.  There was a yellow lab - yes, a real live dog - sitting over to the right next to his owner, a woman in a Victorian outfit with a Volunteer badge, a young woman dressed as a witch...and that is what I saw when I first scanned the room.  Also rows of tables with books galore and posters and people everywhere.  I walked in slowly and right in the middle of the room I saw her - Nancy Haddock.  Chin-length blond hair, a smiling face, and a name badge that said...Nancy Haddock.  I walked up to her and she looked at me and asked, "Karen?"

WHAT?  She remembered my name from one email?!  AWESOME!!!  I was smitten immediately.  She introduced me to the lovely woman sitting next to her, Lucienne Diver.  They were both so open and friendly and funny!  Nancy said that Lucienne was not only a writer (she was promoting her book Vamped), but an AGENT.  (trumpets sound, lions roar, holy smokes a real live agent)  I didn't IMMEDIATELY mention I'm a writer, but I got it out in the next few minutes.  I told them my manuscript was about a road trip with two friends that goes really wacky.  And the worst part were the long days in Tulsa.  Nancy laughed - although not heartily - and asked, "What's wrong with Tulsa?  I'm from Tulsa."  HOLY CRAP.  I explained that the book was based a true road trip and that my observations about Tulsa were based on personal experience.  She asked if I had visited the Gilcrease Museum, but I told her, "No, we were too busy visiting the other sights like the giant Oil Derrick and Oral Roberts University."  I am so glad she has a great sense of humor; she threatened to make me return to Tulsa just to see that museum.  NO WAY!

The best news is that Lucienne asked me to send her a query and 5 pages of my manuscript.  Cool.  I  need some feedback; I'm already thinking that it's too short for a book.  I learned today that most mysteries are 80,000 words and mysteries are relatively short; Bucksnort is only 40,000 words.  So I'm excited about getting to know these two wonderful women.  I purchased Vamped! and Nancy's sequel to La Vida Vampire: Last Vampire Standing.  Check out these cool writers at:  Nancy Haddock  and Lucienne Diver.

There's lots more to share but I am beat and will share more tomorrow.  Hasta la vista, baby!

3 comments:

  1. So, are you going to add 20,000 words? (I hear you can get away with 60,000 for a first book.)
    If you are going to add, I have 13,000 extra I'm cutting. You want them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me those 13,000 words...thanks for the tip about 60,000 for the first book. I've had the hardest time digging up stats like - how long is the average "women's fiction" book, how many pages is x amount of words....Reading Writer's Digest has helped and I learned SO MUCH yesterday at the Book Festival. Nancy introduced me to the Director of the Florida Writers Association and I've already received an email from him. Finding a writing class is going to be more of a challenge, but I'm working on it. More later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippeee. Writing classes are worth their weight in gold, if you have teachers who know what they are doing. I've been lucky and have not had a bad one yet.

    If you can find one that is six or more sessions, it gives you a chance to get to know others to form a critique group.

    And, it is handy to get to know the teachers. They make great friends and are willing to answer odd (writing) questions.

    Three benefits for the price of one. :)

    ReplyDelete