Wednesday, September 30, 2009

THE BUTS

I've been cleaning and decluttering in preparation for my company coming this weekend.  In the process I've begun to do some things that I put off doing years ago; for example, hanging pictures in my living room, hanging pictures in my hallway, and clearing out the TV entertainment center (it's going outside Saturday for sale or pickup).  I've disliked the entertainment center for a couple of years now but inertia caused me to just sit and hate it instead of getting rid of it.  Let me introduce you to - The BUTS.  So I'm sitting in my living room glaring at the entertainment center and thinking,

"I hate that entertainment center; it leans away from the wall and that's just so unattractive.  And I have something I like much better to put in its place."  Uh oh, here come The BUTS:
  • BUT there's so much stuff piled on it; I'll never find a new home for everything.
  • BUT even if I could find a home for everything, I'd never be able to move it by myself.
  • BUT even if I could move it by myself, I can't have a yard sale with just one item.
  • BUT even if I decided to just junk it at the side of the road, I couldn't drag it all the way out there by myself.
The BUTS are related to procrastination; they are the mental voices that discourage me from even trying to do some activity.

I thought that blogging about BUTS would be helpful, but instead I have killed almost an hour on this stupid topic and still have quite a bit of work to do.  Stupid BUTS.

2 comments:

  1. Ask a big strong neighbor guy to help you. You'd be surprised at how willing he probably will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, your brother lives nearby. But, he would help if you asked him. But, but, but...

    ReplyDelete