Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 7 - Labor Day

In a town where the number one industry is tourism few people get Labor Day off.  It's not so bad where I work (a Bed & Breakfast) because guests are almost always in a good mood and the general atmosphere is happy.  I feel for the people who work at the grocery stores, drug stores, other retail stores, gas stations, etc. where each day must seem like the last. 
Last night when I was walking on the beach with my girlfriends and we were surrounded by people enjoying themselves I kept having a dark nagging little pull of envy.  I wanted to have Labor Day off LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE! 
Kind of like when I quit college to get married and work, and realized I no longer would have summer vacation and Christmas break and Spring break.  WHAT!  I wanted a "do over".  So many times I wanted a "do over".  Go back to college like my friends where books and tests and studying vied with partying and meeting guys and having fun. 
Instead I had the 8:00-5:00 workday, housework, bills...OK I had sex with my husband whenever I wanted which was a plus, but my friends didn't seem to be doing without.  It was only a couple months after I married that I started thinking I might have jumped into growing up a bit too fast. 
I don't sit around and pout (not too much anyway) like I did when I was 19. I live in a great place - work a great schedule - and have a manuscript sitting at a publishing house.  Life is good.
Today marks 7 days without TV.  Last Monday night I watched my last shows for a year.  Last night I couldn't sleep.  All my muscles ached and I was too tired to even read.  So I opened my first movie from Netflix:  The Jane Austen Book Club.  It felt like cheating to turn on the TV (all I got was static because, yes, the cable is still unplugged!) and insert a DVD and watch a movie.  I thought I'd watch it until my Ibuprofen eased my aches and pains, but I ended up watching the whole thing.  Not an Oscar nominee but entertaining, and hey, it was about reading. 
That reminds me; I  need to find a writing class.  More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment