Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 6 - Time Management, Cousins, and the Beach

I am so tired I was going to skip tonight, but that would not be fair. What a great day! But I feel every muscle right now and just want to put my head on my pillow and sleep. OR sit in my big fat chair and channel-surf! That's right, tonight was the first night I was really tempted to watch TV. Anything special I wanted to watch?
NO.
Anything special I was trying to avoid?
NO
Why then?
Because I was bone tired and sitting in a big fat chair channel-surfing or just watching whatever's on takes less energy than just about anything in the world. Good thing I disconnected the cable TV wires. That sounded like too much work to hook them back up.
So, Sunday morning I usually wake up, stretch, and click on FX to watch reruns of The Practice. Then it's time for Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood which I really do enjoy. Then reruns of The Sopranos on A&E and by then it's almost noon.
Today I woke up around 9:30am and continued to read La Vida Vampire by Nancy Haddock (a local author). I really enjoy her writing style and the story is very entertaining. The characters are fleshed out well and, well, I like it.
Harley hopped up next to me eventually and I got dressed and took him for a walk. When I returned I thought I'd make a pot of tea and make some blueberry pancakes, but FIRST I was going to check my email and facebook accounts. That led to checking my Blog to see if I had any new followers and any comments. That led to me reading the comments and checking out my cousin Melanie's Blog. TWO HOURS LATER I realize it's after noon and I'm hungry and half the day is gone! I had laughed until the tears came while reading about her exploits and just enjoyed it so much I had lost track of time. I called her and left a long message on her answering machine telling her that and also telling her she owed me my Sunday morning back.
Harley and I hopped in my car for a quick trip to Wendy's for a quick lunch and I remembered I hadn't left my phone number for Melanie. So I called her back and she answered. We talked and talked and when I arrived at Wendy's I pulled into the shade of some trees and turned off the car and continued the conversation. AN HOUR AND 15 MINUTES LATER I finally hung up. HEY MELLY, YOU OWE ME A SUNDAY AFTERNOON NOW! It was great comparing notes and hearing about her family - her parents just relocated from Massachusetts to Portland - and all the adjustments and upheavals.
Harley & I picked up a burger & baked potato and headed home. Harley was especially grateful because it had gotten a bit HOT in the car and he was panting. He lives in air-conditioning and is a bit spoiled, you know. I gave him a big bowl of fresh cool water when we arrived home and then ate lunch.
Later on I met Arlene and Betsy at Playa Chac-Mool on the corner of A1A and D Street. We caught up on all the news and enjoyed a great and authentic Mexican meal. Then we went for a really long walk on the beach. It was beautiful out there and lots of people walking, surfing, playing volleyball or touch football; it felt like a holiday weekend.
I can hardly believe I've made it almost a week with no TV. I'm loving my life.

3 comments:

  1. Today someone phoned me and rudely left a message before I could get to the phone. But then the phone jangled again and I yanked up the headset and mumbled into the mouthpiece. My brave and daring cousin Karen, the one who is serious about giving up television for a year, was on the phone. It felt like talking to a celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so full of beans. Which is the main reason you couldn't get to the phone the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so not true. It is merely that it was early. Here in the Northwest, we are not on the same rigorous time schedule as you cosmopolitan people in Florida.

    ReplyDelete