Monday, September 21, 2009

Query Letters and Shaving the Dog

I was very blessed to meet an agent at the Florida Heritage Book Festival.  And she said she would love to read the first 5 pages of my manuscript.  WOW.  So she asked me to send her a ....  Query Letter!  AAAAUUUGGGGHHHHH!  No - not a query letter!  Ask me for a novel, a short story, even a poem!  Ask me for a research paper, a speech, an editorial!  But not a Query Letter!  

I tried a Query Letter last year when I submitted my manuscript to a small publishing house in San Francisco.  It was agreed that my letter was awful, but would be overlooked - it was even said that the best writers write the worst query letters.  I didn't get it!  It looked OK to me!  I've read every article I can find on Query Letters and tried to emulate what others have written and it just sounds so stiff when I do it.  I think it has something to do with selling myself and my work.  whatever. 

I spent 2 hours last night and 2 1/2 hours tonight working on the Mu&*#$&#%^#&fU&#&*$#& Query Letter and still feel like I was just basing my whole writing career on a long shot!  Jeez Louise.  Well, it's done and it's sent.  Along with the first 5 pages of my book.  By the time I finished with the letter even my book was sounding lame.  Talk about a confidence-killer.  You know what the worst part is?  In procrastinating finishing the stupid letter tonight I even shaved my dog!

Now don't panic.  He's not like naked.  He gets kind of wiry looking - he has two coats - a short thick undercoat and then this wiry overcoat that sheds like crazy.  So I was going to shave him outside and the stupid electrical outlets wouldn't work!  What's that all about?  Another home repair - on the long list.  So I brought him into the bathroom and the two outlets in there didn't work!  I checked the circuit breakers - all were fine.  Another item on the home repair list.  So I plugged in an extension cord in the hallway and still was able to cut Harley's hair in the bathroom.

He looks much neater.  And I combed and combed him so he shouldn't shed for a day or so. 

Boy, is he pissed.  He's not speaking to me and I know he's plotting his revenge. 

So I got the Query Letter done - and may have destroyed any chance of getting published - and my dog looks much neater.  A productive evening without TV.  And I thank God I was never a fan of the show Heroes because they must have played that commercial on the radio every 15 minutes today.  If I was a fan it would be killing me!  OMG - I hope they don't play Amazing Race commercials....

2 comments:

  1. I want to see your query. It cannot be as bad as my "pitch".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even the worst Query Letter is saved if you can fit "Jeez Louise" into it.

    ReplyDelete