Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day One - Not So Bad!

Last night I unplugged all the coax cables from my three TVs. Before that I watched my last TV show for a while: a rerun episode of The Closer. At least it was one of my favorite shows and not something lame like Intervention or Parking Wars (OMG those A&E shows are so weird).

One of my first thoughts this morning was "NO TV!" although I don't usually watch TV before I go to work. And I didn't think about it much during the day. I got a headache this afternoon while at work and looked forward to going home and closing my eyes. I plugged along until quitting time and then drove home wondering how I'd do without Judge Joe Brown, Judge Judy, Oprah, Ellen, and NCIS to keep me company. I curled up on the sofa and closed my eyes.

I heard the refrigerator running. Good grief. I've napped before and never noticed the refrigerator running. hmmmmmmmmmmm. I closed my eyes and tried to relax. Usually before I take a nap I watch a little TV until I get sleepy. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I started thinking about how much a new refrigerator might cost, and how much more energy efficient a new, smaller refrigerator might be, and when was the last time I cleaned the refrigerator. hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Crap! My eyes popped open. I stretched and curled back up and closed my eyes. hhhhmmmmmm. smack. grindgrindgrind. smack. I had given my dog Harley a chewy snack bone (for his dental hygiene, don'tcha know) he was obviously enjoying it. I sighed and closed my eyes. slurp slurp slurp. Now Harley was topping off his snack with a drink from his water bowl. hhhhmmmmmm. burp. Harley's signature burp signified the end of his snack time. I put my hands over my ears to shut out the noise of my quiet home and drifted off to sleep.

I awoke up an hour later and my headache was gone. I warmed up some leftover pizza and took it over to my big comfy chair to enjoy it. My left hand reached for the remote automatically. I smiled at myself. I always watch TV when I eat. I got up and turned on the radio. I sat back down and had another bite of pizza. My left hand reached for the remote automatically. I decided to put the remote in its new home - a drawer in the entertainment center.

After my quick supper I sat at my laptop to catch up on my email, etc. Talked to a couple girlfriends on the phone. Folded a load of laundry.

It is so QUIET in here. Even with the radio on. The blank screen of the TV looks like a black hole. Another universe exists in there; one that I'm shutting out. Its gravitational pull isn't strong tonight. I don't even want to watch TV. I just don't like that big black screen staring at me. It's a bit creepy.

So day one of No TV is almost complete. And I survived. And actually did some laundry. I'll be in bed by 10:00 and see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment