Friday, November 13, 2009

"WOMEN'S MAGAZINES" - ARE THEY MAKING YOU CRAZY!?!?

I don't like so-called "women's magazines".  These are magazines that are "for women" (because we're all the same, you know).  These magazines are supposedly about "being women" (like that's a job or something to "work at being").  At various times in my life I have subscribed to: Seventeen, Glamour, Redbook, Ladies Home Journal, Good Housekeeping, Ms., Cosmopolitan, and Southern Living.  I'm not picking on any of these magazines by themselves.  (And Ms is in no way a "women's magazine" like the others;  no, no, no.   I was going through my ANGRY period when I subscribed to Ms.)  I'm just pointing out some similarities.  In fact, I picked up a Southern Living today at my mechanic's and enjoyed flipping through the gardening section.  (Good thing I wasn't looking for timely information; the issue was from 2005!)  But even Southern Living can fall into some of the categories below.

Did you ever notice that most "women's" magazines have the same topics month after month after month?  Really.  Month after month; year after year.  Next time you're waiting in line at the grocery store, take a look at the covers.  (I'm not including gossip/celebrity magazines in this group.)

On the covers of the "women's" magazines you will see a beautiful model or celebrity air-brushed to perfection (or if it's a holiday you might see children and/or food, etc.) and headlines that tell you:
  1. YOUR HOUSE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  These articles are about being a good housewife and mother - housekeeping and cleaning (code word de-cluttering) and cooking.  This category also includes decorating and makeovers.  Hang with me here for a few minutes.
  2. YOUR BODY IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  These are articles about losing weight either through diet or exercise, or a combination of both.  Headlines also includes code words like "slimming" recipes.  Ironically the same magazine will also contain headlines about baking Christmas cookies, or Thanksgiving feasts - these will be featured in the Housekeeping Section.
  3. THE WAY YOU DRESS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  These fashion how-to's so often include the code words "making you look slimmer, leaner, younger, etc". 
  4. THE WAY YOU SHOP IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  Shopping tips and how-to's (because it's just so difficult, isn't it?) for buying anything for yourself or others.
  5. YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH UNLESS YOU HAVE A MAN.  Men - you need one and here's how to get one or keep one!  And you better pay attention to HIS feelings and what HE wants because you may LOSE him and then you will be ALONE.
  6. THE WAY YOU FEEL IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  How to be happy - either at work or home or both.  How to succeed.  How to balance home & work. 
Here are some samples:


Seventeen Magazine November 2009:  
  1. Nothing on the cover about housework, but click on the link and you will see a slideshow of pictures about the actress on the cover.  The last image on that slideshow is an ad for a Dyson vacuum cleaner.
  2. "Get Your BEST BODY EVER Without Working Out"
  3. "525 Fashion and Beauty Secrets/Shiny Hair/Perfect Makeup"
  4. "Cute Clothes Under $20"
  5. "Real Guys Confess:  What Really Turns Them On and Off!"
  6. "Win Tickets to See New Moon" (What else would make a lot of teen girls happy?!)
Glamour magazine December 2009:
  1. OK so Glamour's not big on cleaning your house or decorating...it's about how you look.
  2. "How to Eat Drink and Not Gain Weight even during the Cookie Season"
  3. "Easy Beauty Tricks - Three Minute Miracles Inside"
  4. "39 Cutest Holiday Outfits for Your Body & Budget"
  5. " Relax! Seven Reasons Guys Love You Just the Way You Are"
  6. "Serena:  Strong and Happy.  ALSO:  12 Winners Give You Life Advice"
Cosmopolitan Magazine December 2009:
  1. Cosmo is sooooo not into decorating or housework. 
  2. "Get Rid of Muffin Top - 7 Belly-Blasting Tricks."
  3. "Colors that Make a Man's Heart Race." "14 Sexy Party Hairstyles"
  4. No shopping mentioned on the cover - but I bet there's plenty inside.
  5. "His #1 Sex Wish" AND "Why Love is Harder in Winter" AND "He Shoots He Scores: Wacked Out Things Guys Say in Bed" AND "What His Hug Reveals"
  6. "The 10 New Rules for Success" "Is Stress Turning You Into a Raging Bitch?"
Good Housekeeping December 2009:
  1. "The House Looks Great - How to Clean Up in 12 Minutes Flat"  "Holiday Cookbook:  3 Festive Party Menus, 32 Mix & Match Recipes, Foolproof Fabulous Cookies"
  2. Nothing about your body in the December issue- Just wait until the January Issue!  Of course the December cover is full of Christmas cookies!
  3. Nothing about fashion either - too much space given to holiday partying and recipes.  I'm sure there are party dresses etc inside....
  4. "Best Toys of 2009", "Amazing Gifts for $.99 to $30"
  5. Nothing about men - this is Good Housekeeping's December issue - just bake him cookies!
  6. "The Power of Forgiveness" "Enter to Win $25,000 Dream Holiday"
Please notice the words used in Seventeen's cover:  "secrets"  "perfect"  "best body".  Can we say anorexia or bulemia?
Glamour talks about eating, drinking, Cookie Season, and not gaining weight.  Again:  eating disorder alert.  Also uses the word "miracle" about beauty - that's encouraging. Oh, and WE can relax because HE likes us just the way we are.  PHEW!  I was worried for a minute.
Cosmo is supposed to be for sexually liberated women, but it's all about HIS sex wish, what HE says in bed, and analyzing HIS hugs.  Really.

I now subscribe only to magazines that are about something.  For example, I subscribe to Writers' Digest.  The articles are about writing and publishing and those interest me.  Sure, they tend to repeat themselves, but the articles are on topics that challenge ME and engage my MIND.  I joined the Florida Writers' Association and I receive their quarterly magazine which is also about writing and about other writers in Florida.  I also subscribe to Glimmer Train, a small press dedicated to publishing stories from new writers.  I have received their Fall 2009 issue and I enjoyed reading the variety of short stories it contained.

4 comments:

  1. Wooo hoooo. Good article. Excellent. And I didn't realize they all say the same things. Mostly that we aren't good enough. Pfffft. They are sooooooo wrong. I'm not touching any of those magazines ever again. Except that one with the Christmas cookie recipes. Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And another thing. When I leave a comment and it comes up with those letters you have to type in to avoid spam comments; why is it there are forty-six letters? I've only noticed this on your blog. Have you given your blog instructions to discourage me from leaving a comment? Hummm? Is it because I'm not good enough?
    Where are my magazines?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of Christmas cookies - sure they are pretty. Rarely chocolate, though. Now towers o'fudge?! That cover gets me every time. As far as the comments...I used the ..uh...regular Google thingy...I didn't even think about checking the "Melanie" box with the 46 letters. Didn't even enter my mind. I might have to check my setups....hm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's why I only subscribe to food magazines :)

    ReplyDelete