Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NO TV FOR 2 MONTHS - SO WHAT?

I disconnected my cable from my TV 2 months ago.  Have I learned anything from this experience?

  • I've learned that I really don't miss the TV shows themselves.  I had a pang when I realized I wouldn't get to watch "Amazing Race", but I don't sit on my couch on Sunday nights weeping and wailing and gnashing my teeth because I'm missing the show.  I used to watch "Judge Judy" twice a day almost every day, yet I don't wonder about who didn't get paid for a cell phone account that they bought for a girlfriend/boyfriend, or who got stuck with a lease on an apartment when their friend/boyfriend/girlfriend moved out early, or who is suing whom for beating someone up during a bar fight.  I don't miss the news, the entertainment gossip, the weather reports, the sitcoms, the reality shows, and I especially don't miss all the commercials.  My God,  I used to spend entire evenings salivating over pizza delivery ads and fast food ads and those ads for quick-fix brownies.  (It only takes minutes in your microwave to enjoy warm gooey fudge brownies!)  I don't miss the endless channel surfing on weekends, watching bits and pieces and even chunks of movies (most of which I'd already seen!), and feeling guilty for wasting yet another beautiful weekend inside watching TV.  I don't even miss "Sunday Morning" as much as I thought; I have my Sunday morning coffee with NPR radio or a book.
  • I've learned watching TV did not cause me to gain weight, lose weight or maintain weight.  DAMN.  DAMN.  DOUBLE-DAMN.
  • I've learned that I can read a tremendous amount of books when I'm not spending any time watching TV.
  • I've learned Netflix is really cool and I love finding that red envelope in my mailbox.
  • I've learned that the weather can sneak up on me because I don't watch 45 weather reports at night; however, sometimes the weather used to sneak up on me even when I did watch 45 weather reports because I wasn't really paying attention to them!  I'm not worried about any tropical storms or hurricanes sneaking up on me because,
    1. hurricane season is over, and,
    2. I'll notice all the bread and milk gone at the local Publix.
  • I've learned that I can isolate myself as much as I did when I was a TV-holic.
  • I've learned that spending Sundays with my girlfriends is fun and refreshes my soul.
  • I've learned that TV did not prevent me from exercising.  CRAP!  (STUPID TV!)
  • I've learned that blogging can be fun or it can be a pain in the butt.  Just like everything in life.
  • I've learned that I don't need TV.
  • I've learned that silence can be comfortable.
  • I've learned that I can waste just as much time surfing the Internet as I used to waste channel surfing; however, I can't surf the net with just one finger pressing a button.  It takes just a little bit more effort than channel surfing.  Not enough to lose significant weight or get toned, but probably enough effort that I've never done it more than a couple hours.
  • I've actually learned something that may be useful in other...behavior modifications I may want to undertake.  I've learned that if I make something I usually do difficult to do then I won't do it.  So, wouldn't the reverse be true?  If I make something I don't usually do easy to do I might do it.  Food for thought.
My niece Savannah who lives in Boise, Idaho has signed up to be my most recent follower.  I am honored.  Welcome, Savannah.  Skip over the damns and craps, would you,please? 

4 comments:

  1. You've learned you are a great writer and many people enjoy reading what you have written. That's pretty good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Melanie said. My day is always lighter after reading your blog..and Melanie's too. You are both awesome writers

    ReplyDelete