Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'VE LOOKED AT CLOUDS ALL DAY


Yesterday it was cloudy.  All day.  Today it was cloudy.  All day.  The forecast for tomorrow is Mostly Cloudy.  What gives?  This is FLORIDA.  Where's the sun?  I did not move here to look at gray skies all day long.  I am willing to take it for one more day but that is my limit.  After three days of no sunshine I will start getting mean.  Or depressed.  Either way...someone's gonna pay.

To make it worse I just emerged from a very involving book.  Compulsive readers know what I'm talking about when I say emerged; sometimes a book pulls you right into the story and won't let you go.  You almost feel groggy when you take a break or finish. 

I've been reading Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series about a vampire executioner.  The series can be very dark - lots of soul searching (Anita was raised Catholic), violence (oh my it is very violent), and, uh, sex  (though not in this particular book).  Sounds like a weird grouping.  It is.  Though this will never be one of my favorite series - I prefer lighter reading with more laughter than gore - Laurell K. Hamilton can spin a great story.  The real world just fades away and suddenly I'm in a vampire's lair, stalking a serial-killer monster, analyzing a crime scene, or fighting for my life.

In this book - Obsidian Butterfly - Anita Blake travels to Albuquerque, New Mexico to help stop serial killings that may or may not involve non-human predators.  Anita lives in St. Louis, Missouri, so this was a nice break both for Anita and her sun-deprived reader.  At least she was getting some sunshine in between the murder and mayhem.  At least it wasn't cloudy every damn day there, but I digress.  I enjoyed traveling with Anita to Albuquerque and seeing with her the great expanses of nothing but sand and grasses with black mountains in the distance.  Did you know Albuquerque is 7,000 feet above sea level?  I learned that Albuquerque is only about an hour from Santa Fe, NM.  I have cousins in Santa Fe.  They aren't vampires or monsters, though, and were not mentioned in the book. 

New Mexico is still on my list of places to visit.  It sounds beautiful and exotic and SUNNY. 

And Anita killed all the monsters so it's safe, too.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know your cousins in Santa Fe are not vampires or monsters, but they still should have been mentioned in the book. What was Ms. Hamilton thinking?

    And what is up with whining just because you have three cloudy days? This northwesterner is flicking up the Gore-tex hood, snapping up the umbrella and rolling her eyes. There is nothing wrong with clouds.

    Perhaps if Joni Mitchell had lived in the Northwest she wouldn't have had to sing, "I really don't know clouds at all". Obviously she was from Florida.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gore-Tex a material used by Pacific North Westerners to keep from becoming covered in moss and mold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joni Mitchell wrote "Both Sides Now". I'd forgotten Judy sang it also. When you get older, your memory starts slipping. And you get mean.

    Speaking of mean, that "What's Gore-tex?" comment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie: Thanks for the warning about the memory slipping when you get older...I'll put that away for future use. giggle

    giggle chuckle snort

    Ax: Mold I can relate to with our usual humidity!

    ReplyDelete