Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bumper Crop

I drive an 11-year-old VW Cabrio.  I love my car.  It is black and has a black canvas convertible top.  (This is its second top since its first top was vinyl and mildewed and rotted after just a couple years.  I held it together with duct tape for awhile - attractive! - then finally invested in the new top.)  I have no car payments and no plans to ever sell or trade in my Cabrio.  This year became the pivotal year when I decided that it wasn't worth paying for comprehensive insurance due to the Kelly Blue Book value and probable insurance payout in case of a severe accident.  All these factors led to a momentous decision.

I added bumper stickers to my car.

I love bumper stickers - especially sarcastic, funny, cynical, outrageous bumper stickers.  I started conservatively:  a round sticker advertising my favorite beachside restaurant:  FA Cafe.  Then I added an oval sticker advertising the St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum.  Last summer I added a black and white bumper sticker for my favorite local band.  The bumper sticker just lists their web site and says:
MID-LIFECRISIS.NET.  Most people who see it don't think it's for a band.  giggle.

Next was SAVE THE TATAS.  The pink breast cancer ribbon on the sticker has mostly faded in our bright sun, so many don't get the reference.  I've had more than one person (including my sister!) ask, "What's a tata?"  It has special meaning for me - not because I've had breast cancer, though I had a tiny scare a couple years ago, phew! - but because my granddaughter uses that term for breasts.  She once lifted her tee shirt and shouted "TATAS!" while on a scenic boat cruise with her parents.  For no reason other than she wanted to - she was 2.

I bought a round LIFE IS GOOD bumper sticker with the brand's little terrier dog holding a marshmallow over a campfire.  A nod to my FLB*.

I was on a roll now.  Local shop Notions 'n' Potions carries a nice selection of fun bumper stickers.  And I was ready to make a statement.  So my two favorite bumper stickers now ride proudly on my car's rear:
One reads:  DON'T PISS ME OFF.  I'M RUNNING OUT OF PLACED TO HIDE THE BODIES.  I think it meshes nicely with the Life is Good message.  My #1 fave though is:

EVE WAS FRAMED.

Short and sweet.  True.  I LOVE IT.  I was nervous at first, certain some gunrack-totin', tobacco-chewin', FoxNewsGlennBeckRushFanatic would trash my car or shout at me in traffic.  Nothing happened.  People at work noticed the stickers and teased me about them.  Then one Friday it happened.  A pick-em-up truck pulled up behind me at a red light, then pulled around to the lane on my left.  The passenger lowered his window and yelled, "Hey!"  I looked at him.  "Love your bumper sticker!  Eve WAS framed.  By a bunch of lying men!"  I stared at him for a couple of seconds, then laughed and gave him a thumbs up.  WOW!  What a surprise.

Since then several women have mentioned to me - in parking lots usually - that they love that bumper sticker.      Then it happened again.  I was driving over the 312 Bridge - my sister riding shotgun and my granddaughter Kinsey strapped safely in her car seat in the back - when a sporty car pulled up behind me then pulled around.  When we slowed for the traffic light after the bridge two good-looking surfer guys hollered, "Love your bumper sticker - Eve WAS framed!"  More thumbs up all around and they sped on by.  

My newest is a gift from a friend at work (Carolee):  WILL WORK BECAUSE I HAVE TO.  I thought of putting it on the FRONT of my car so the young and healthy panhandlers flashing their cardboard signs at me in the afternoons could read it.  

This afternoon I was cruising home from work with all the windows down listening to jazz on Flager College Radio.  I heard someone yelling and turned off my radio.  Two women were riding beside me and we were slowing for a traffic light.  One yelled, "What does the rest of your bumper sticker say?  The one about DON'T PISS ME OFF?"  I laughed and yelled, "I'M RUNNING OUT OF PLACES TO HIDE THE BODIES!"  She laughed, then repeated what I said to her companion and they both cackled.  The light changed, I flashed her an ironic peace sign, and drove off.

Life IS Good.
*Freakin' Little Bastard


7 comments:

  1. Love the 'will work because i have to'...i follow that mantra in all areas of my life.
    and also...i noticed the life without tv - mostly...ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I love it. thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, my canadian friend....i am behind in reading your blog...will catch up soon...hope you and Q and mom doing great...k

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha!! Funny stuff :D Once word gets out you'll be getting bumper stickers galore for Christmas, and for your birthday and everything...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Emailman! Thanks for following...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! How did I miss this blog? I have tears running down my cheeks. LOL LOL. I love the "One reads: DON'T PISS ME OFF. I'M RUNNING OUT OF PLACED TO HIDE THE BODIES. I think it meshes nicely with the Life is Good message."

    Not only was Eve framed, but she had a court appointed attorney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post, Karen.
    I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain. loved it. And the Lace Reader was good. I've already forgotten what March was about. Liked Lahiri's first book better.
    Have you found Kingsolver's The Lacuna, yet? Oh, is it impolite for us to comment on what you're reading? Hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, dale. i love comments on my reading list; it means someone noticed! attended book club tonight - we read "When Will There Be Good News?" by Susan Atkinson and had a lively discussion about the story and characters. Love book club. I hated Racing in Rain - made me cry on 2nd page. Friend Betsy recommended and loved the book. so I torture her every chances i get. March was written from Little Women's father's viewpoint. excellent. so many books. so little time.

    ReplyDelete