Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life's Soundtrack: Part One

I believe that we are the first generation (Baby Boomers) who live with a soundtrack in our heads. 

Our parents were born in the 1920's and grew up in the Depression.  They listened to radio programs, went to movies, and marveled at TVs invading their homes in the 1950's.  Music was important to their generation; they sang and danced to the jazz and big band styles that were popular.  Rosemary Clooney, Artie Shaw, Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie, Cab Calloway, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and the Dorsey Brothers defined 1940's music and provided a lot of the soundtrack to our parents' generation especially during WWII.  After the war our parents settled down, raised families, and music often took a backseat to the TV in the home. 

Most of us Boomers don't remember the days before TV.  Most of us grew up with Saturday morning double features.  I think I can say, though, that we are the generation where music became our constant.  The first of the Baby Boomers embraced the rockabilly sounds of Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard.  Hank Williams brought country and western music to a national audience.  And then there was Elvis.  A lot of parents and people in authority didn't like Elvis's music and dancing, and that just made him all the more appealing to the younger generation. 

Middle Boomers thrilled to the emergence of Rock'n'Roll and the British invasion. Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and other artists contributed to the restlessness of the younger population unhappy with the war in Viet Nam, corporate and government corruption, and the status quo. The Civil Rights Movement would not have been the same without its own soundtrack of We Shall Overcome, Oh Freedom, and Blowin in the Wind.

What set both Black and White Boomers apart from their parents, I believe, was the transistor radio.  We were the first to carry around a small radio with an earplug so we could listen to "our" music any time we wanted.  We could listen by ourselves or share with our friends.  We carried radios to the beach, to picnics, and family barbeques. 

In addition to my transistor radio I had a record player and later a small stereo in my bedroom, and that's where I spent all of my spare time.  I danced and sang to all my favorite artists.  I inserted their lyrics and their songs into my life as my soundtrack.  When I left home for college the most important piece of equipment I took with me was my stereo.  It didn't matter that my roommate had one, too.  We sampled each other's favorite artists (on 8-track tapes by then) and found our horizons expanding.  We went to sleep to her radio every night.

This love of music and having it around all the time has continued throughout my life, except when I was first married.  I got married in 1973 and had my first child in 1976.  I don't really remember a lot of music during those years, but when I go back and research those days, I see the popularity of The Who and the Rolling Stones, neither of which were my favorites.  The Beatles had broken up and I was not fond of John Lennon at that time.  I liked some Chicago songs and bought one of their albums, but it never was a favorite.  Disco?  Uh, no.  No wonder there was a gap.  And remember, in those ancient days before CDs, iPods, MP3s, and the Internet, there was just the radio for music.  And not a lot of choices there. 

Certain songs bring back times of my life so vividly that I can see, smell, and almost touch those days. 

The Name Game written and recorded by Shirley Ellis (1964): After school - late afternoon -playing outside and hearing that song for the first time  - wow, what was that?  Play it again!


Elton John's Crocodile Rock and Carly Simon's You're So Vain (1973): Winter quarter at Reinhardt College, first time living away from home, having a boyfriend and being in love.

Billy Joel's I Love You Just the Way You Are (1977):  Driving my baby to the babysitter's house before work, and picking her up after work, and singing that song to her at the top of my voice. 

Jimmy Buffet's Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes (1977) Dancing around my living room with my baby girl.

What about you?  What songs evoke vivid memories for you?

5 comments:

  1. Eli's Coming by Three Dog Night, California Sun and Tommy James - summer days in Cutler Ridge, Katmandu - Bob Seger and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody reminds of High School, Jimmy Buffett singing Havana Daydreaming, Defying Gravity and Peanut Butter Conspiracy takes me back to fishing off the bridges in Key Largo. And John Prine, Big Ole Goofy World sends me to a cabin in Idaho and a little blue-eyed baby Savannah listening and smiling at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you "soundtrack in our heads" idea. My mom will just start singing random songs when she sees random things that remind her of songs. We always pass a Street called "Mona Lisa" and she starts singing. It drives me nuts ;-)

    Thanks for you kind comment on my blog ;-) comments really keep me going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll never forget being in the cafeteria at high school. I was a Freshman and we'd just moved from California back to Texas that summer. I was still in culture shock and suddenly hearing "I'm proud to be an Okie from Maskogee" did NOT help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your memory of singing Just the Way You Are to the baby. So CUTE and so TRUE!

    Anything by Journey or Foreigner puts me right back in Jeanna's '66 Mustang on our morning commute to high school senior year. Etta James reminds me of a certain gentleman I remember fondly. Aisha (Khaled) will always take me back to that driving vacation to Bryce, Zion, Moab, and the Grand Canyon.

    I won't talk about sad song memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ya'll...music really does touch us, doesn't it.

    Dan - I love the visual of you fishing off the bridges on Key Largo - sounds sunny and warm! And sweet Savannah with those big blue eyes! Three Dog Night!!! Riding home from high school and singing those lyrics over and over...throwing our uniforms out the car windows on our last day of school senior year.

    Erika - You're welcome. I love your blog - so original - what a variety of topics. Mona Lisa? Your mom sounds like a hoot...

    NwFoodie - so understand being the new kid in school (Navy brat) and glad my "new" days had stopped before I got to high school...Calif to Texas - I think they have anti-psychotic drugs for that now....

    Nina - obviously so much younger than me...I think Journey and Foreigner were during my "gap"...and driving vacations - those are the best when you have good music...your cousin Sheila gets all sentimental over "Whip it! Whip it good!"

    ReplyDelete