Wednesday, December 30, 2009

All I Wanted Was a Houseplant


Before Christmas I purchased myself a BARGAIN houseplant.  I paid just under $8 for it.  (Then I spent $34 on the pot for it, but it was still a good deal, right?)  You can see it in the photo...behind the white oscillating fan..and to the left of the dancing elf.  (She was singing and dancing to Jingle Bells sung by my dancing poinsettias, but that's another story.)  Although it was cool outside, it was imperative to have a fan going.   (When a 3-year-old visits there is NONSTOP activity which can cause women of a certain age to SWEAT.)

Although my houseplant and I got off to a shaky start due to a tree frog hiding in the watering can, I am now enjoying the newest addition to my living room.  I believe the palm tree is happy with its new home as it is filling out, sprouting new leaves, and not developing any brown areas.  It adds a bright spot of color to that corner by my front door and I just enjoy looking at it.  Everything would be perfect...except...except for ...

the *FLB.

Yes.  Him!  He spends a lot of time staring at the tree.  Up close and personal.  He will walk up to it, sniff around it, stick his stinkin' little nose in the dirt and sniff...

sniff....sniff....

Then he will startle... and stare ... at SOMETHING he sees or thinks he sees in the tree.  He will back off and sit and stare.  Move closer.  Stare some more.  Eventually he forgets what he's doing and wanders away. He is driving me crazy.

I picked up that tree and plunked it in my shopping cart and hefted it into the back seat of my car and lugged it into my home.  If there was something IN the tree wouldn't it have jumped out and gotten me then?  Wouldn't it?

Today I remembered a story carried in the St. Augustine Record last July.  I looked it up and here is the headline:  "Garden Shop Reopens After Rattler Bites Shopper".  I am not kidding.  A man was shopping in the fern section of the St. Augustine Wal-Mart Garden Shop when his girlfriend's child dropped or threw a baby bottle onto the floor.  Said customer "reached under a plastic shelf" whereupon HE WAS BITTEN BY A PYGMY RATTLESNAKE!  He survived - after he was hospitalized.

The garden shop was closed so a wildlife professional could be called in and "assess the area".  Here's my favorite quote, "What is not known is whether the rattlesnake got into the garden center from nearby woods or if it came in on plants delivered to the store." 

WHAT????!!! 

Since 2006 three incidents were reported of snakes attacking customers in Wal-Mart Garden Shops around Florida.  In the almost-requisite "What to watch for" part of the article appeared my 2nd favorite quote: "The ornery pygmy rattlesnake is a 'sit-and-wait' predator that sits coiled in one spot, waiting for its prey to approach." 

Nice.

So I'm sitting here wondering what the heck my dog is sniffing and staring at in my palm tree.  I bought it at Home Depot, not Wal-Mart.  Thank heavens.  I'm not going to DO anything with the palm tree like pick it up and move it - not anymore.

And I keep my eyes WIDE OPEN when I'm watering it - after I have checked out the watering can thoroughly.

Damn.  Just damn.

*Freakin' little bastard

6 comments:

  1. If you had caught the tree frog, you could have offered it up as a sacrifice to the python in the tree. Just something to think about.

    Keep the eyes center mass, by the way, when you are watering. Good luck.

    Is your will up to date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    If it's any consolation Bear will do the same thing with almost anything in the house or outside the house. Wait there is...something...different...on the desk..must...GRRR GRRRR. He'll even do a little bull move with his back paws. Maybe Harley is slowly getting use to the plant and then forgets he got use to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melly, not a PYTHON a PYGMY RATTLER...the PYTHONS are all in the Everglades (which, thank GOD, are hundreds of miles from me) and moved there from Miami. My will is not up to date. Thanks.

    NWFoodie - thank you for being so empathetic. Unlike my relatives. Harley has a very short memory, very short attention span, and very small brain. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,

    Perhaps the PLANT is from the Everglades. Hummm?

    Have you thought about a cat? Cats don't sit and stare. Cats climb up the plant, knock it over, spill out the dirt, dig in it and go potty, eat part of the plant, hork it up again behind the piano and then jump up on the counter an leave dirty paw prints.

    Perhaps Harley would like a companion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe the fan or an air vent is moving the branches and he thinks something is in there??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika Jean: Thank you for your compassionate explanation for Harley's behavior. I have moved the fan away from the plant. Would you like a dog? Shipping is free!

    Melanie: I don't want either of your cats.

    ReplyDelete