Sunday, October 25, 2009

NOT REALLY A SEPTIC TANK STORY

This is part of my backyard.  What look like small rolling hills are actually part of the septic tank systems of my building and the building next door.  In some parts of Florida the drainfields have to be raised because the water table is so close to the surface.  You don't want the drainfields draining directly into your water table, do you?  I guess the extra 4 or 5 feet of soil and rock make a difference.  Hmm.
So what's with the BUCKET?  The bucket covers an electrical outlet that pokes out of the ground; an underground wire goes from my building to the outlet. The septic tank pump is plugged into the outlet.  Oh yes, we have to have a pump because the drainfields are elevated above the tank and the...uh... liquids in the tank have to be pumped up into the drainfields.  The outlet has to be protected from rain and lawn mowing equipment and a bucket has proven to be better than the plastic covers the septic tank companies install.  The bare space next to the bucket is where a septic tank company recently dug up the yard, opened the lid to the septic tank, and replaced the septic tank pump.  yummy.
Since I am the only condo-owner in my building - the other 2 units are rented - I have taken the responsibility of insuring that the pump is plugged in and operating.  Since I installed the bucket last spring - blatantly copying my neighbors - the bucket has done a wonderful job of protecting the outlet.  I've checked it several times over the past several months and the outlet and plug have been undisturbed.
Late last month my toilets were flushing reluctantly and there was an awful....AROMA...in the backyard, so I stomped over to the bucket in my bare feet and picked it up.  The pump was plugged in, but there was a lot of...water...all around the area.  I then stepped carefully to our building about 20 feet away and opened the circuit breaker box - AHA!  The breaker had flipped off.  I flipped it on.  Sparks flew and it flipped itself off.  I screamed like a banshee.  Luckily the ground was dry by the house or I might have fried myself.
After I recovered from my brief trauma AND scrubbed my feet and legs with antibiotic soap, I called the septic tank people.  The next afternoon a repairman came out and dug up that small portion of the yard.  He got the job done in about an hour.  When I was writing him a check for the new pump, he asked me if I'd ever seen the snake living under the bucket.

What?

"Oh, yea," he said.  "He's got a burrow under that bucket.  He's green and brown and kept peeking out at me while I was working."  My hand shook as I finished writing the check.
I don't care if we get 24 inches of rain.  I don't care if water erupts from every drain in my home.  I don't care if I have to use the public bathroom in Publix for the rest of my life.  I am NEVER NEVER NEVER going near that bucket again.

7 comments:

  1. So what is the DEAL????? I thought once I bought a condo, someone else would have to worry about the septic and painting and yard work and all those problems. You have to do it? And what is up with all the wildlife? I have to deal with marauding bears, charging deer and errant bobcats. You have to deal with spiders the size of Cleveland and snakes long enough to tie down a hot air balloon and a wild, wild dog that plays mind games?

    Geeeeez. I'll take the bear and the bobcat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were my thoughts when I bought my condo, too, but at least I don't have to cut the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - I have to stop reading your blog at work...I laugh too loud! Melanie you can move out to Salmon creek we only have Cayotes and Opossums and Racoons and the ocassional tree frog that likes to hide in the shed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have five ferrell cats living in the lot next door. Perhaps you would like to own one. I now have hair balls on my patio instead of snake skins! Not a bad trade, wouldn't you say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ax - thank you! And I haven't even gotten to the armadillos, raccoons, and GATORS....

    Spider Woman - I love cats but 2 problems - actually 3 - I'm allergic to them, Harley HATES them, and I'm a-scairt of the feral cats. I'll stick with my snake-in-a-bucket. Sounds like an entree in West Texas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, a long time ago someone must have told you they had a wild life. You probably admired them and they seemed to be happy. But conducting your own version of "Visiting Hours at the Zoo" is not what they meant. Back away from the zebra painted SUV and no one will get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spider Slayer & Car Wash ManOctober 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM

    I live with spider women and I would just like to clear something up about feral cats. First of all they have now invaded our back yard. We don't mind though because they make the greatest pets. We don't feed them we don't have to walk them and we don't even have to pet them. You can be allergic to them and thats ok because they never let you get withing 10 feet of them. The best part is we now we don't have to worry about any other varments being in our yard. Get yourself some they are great. Karen how many do you want?

    ReplyDelete